Baldwin is a town in Chemung County, New York, United States. The population was 832 at the 2010 census. The town name is derived from Thomas and Waterman Baldwin, two of the earliest settlers of the area. The town is east of Elmira. It is part of the Elmira Metropolitan Statistical Area.
While it is most likely that hunters and trappers passed though the area in earlier years, Baldwin was first settled around 1813, credit given to Charles and Warren Granger as being the first white settlers to the area. The brothers put down roots on what was first called “Hammond Corners” and would later become North Chemung. The trek to their new home would have been difficult, due in part to thick virgin forest and ravines as well as swampland thick with underbrush.
Soon after the Granger brothers, Henry Tice came to Hammond Corners with his family from Ulster County in downstate New York in 1815. Also in 1815 came Jason Hammond with his five sons, Elisha, James, Robert, David and Cornelius. In the years that followed many more families came from New England, including Peter McCumber for whom the area known as “McCumber Corners” is named. Other families were the Whitakers, Collsons, Browns, Elstons, Drakes and many more. Many of these families still reside in the township or have close ties.
The first church society was organized in 1818 with worship services being held in various citizens’ homes. It wasn’t until 1852 that a church was built to serve all different faiths of the community. This church is the one that is still in use in North Chemung known as the United Methodist Church. In 1910 a church was built in Hicks, and it too continues to be used.
The first school in Baldwin was started in 1819 with the children taught by John Tuthill Jr in a cabin owned by John Brooks. The first schoolhouse was built in 1821 at the corner of the North Chemung Cemetery. In 1869 a new schoolhouse was built across the road and is still standing. It has been a store, a private home and now belongs to the United Methodist Church primarily used to house the local food pantry.